Descendants of Henry Freeman
Generation No. 1
1. Henry1 Freeman was born in England, and died in England. He married Joan Rudd in England, daughter of Thomas Rudd and Alice Pemperton. She was born in England, and died in England.
Children of Henry Freeman and Joan Rudd are:
* 2. i. Thomas2 Freeman, b. Abt. 1570, Crewkerne, Somersetshire England; d. Bet. 1618 - 1671, Virginia.
* ii. ? Freeman, b. Unknown.
Generation No. 2
2. Thomas2 Freeman (Henry1) was born Abt. 1570 in Crewkerne, Somersetshire England, and died Bet. 1618 - 1671 in Virginia. He married Frances Bennett, daughter of Ralph Bennett and Alice Harritt.
( Notes for Thomas Freeman )
Two depositions were given by residents of Middlesex England on August 14, 1680, one deposition indicating that Thomas Freeman, gent, had resided at Wallingford Castle, Berkshire England, naming 3 sons and a daughter. The other deposition identifies his wife as being the sister of David Bennett. Although one source indicates he was a gunsmith at Jamestown Virginia in 1622 and was killed by indians of that same year in Henrico Co Virginia, the depositions gave no indication that Thomas went to Virginia, and seems to imply that he did not. The following entry is found in the Complete Book of Emigrants 1661-1699, by Peter Wilson Coldham:
August 14, 1680. Deposition by John Crouch of Westminster, Middlesex, gent aged 60, that William Freeman of King Street, Westminster, gent, is the oldest surviving son of Thomas Freeman, formerly of Wallingford Castel, Berkshire, gent, deceased and brother of Col. Bridges Freeman, and Bennett Freeman of Virginia,deceased. William Freeman also had a sister, Elizabeth Freeman who went to her brother Bridges Freeman in Virginia. Deposition by David Bennett of St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex, gent aged 51, that his father David Freeman was a brother of Thomas Freeman's wife ( Frances ).
Children of Thomas Freeman and Frances Bennett are:
* 3. i. Henry Freeman3 Sr, b. 1591, Crewkerne, Somersetshire England; d. Bef. August 1680, York Co, Virginia.
* 4. ii. Bridges Freeman Sr, b. Abt. 1603, Oxford, England; d. Bet. 1645 - 1694, York Co, Virginia.
* iii. Bennett Freeman, b. 1605, England; d. Bef. August 14, 1680, Virginia.
( Notes for Bennett Freeman )
Reportly, Bennett Freeman arrived in America in 1635 with Bridget Freeman. The name Bennett Freeman appears on a July 4, 1635 list of Persons to be Transported ( from London ) to Virginia by the Transport of London, Mr Edward Walker, by certificate from the Minister of Gravesend. The name Bridget does not appear on this list. No record of Bennett's marriage or children has been found.
* iv. Elizabeth Freeman, b. Abt. 1617, England; d. Bef. August 14, 1680, Virginia.
( Notes for Elizabeth Freeman )
On a ship passenger list of 1635: October 2, 1635, persons embarked on the " John of London ", Mr James Waymoth, bound ( from London ) to St. Christopher's.... Elizabeth Freeman age 18. Verification that this is the sister of Lt Col. Bridges Freeman is being sought.
* v. William Freeman, b. Unknown, Crewkerne, Somersetshire England; d. 1635, Virginia.
( Notes for William Freeman )
William Freeman was a wigreve or keeper of wood.
William's duty was to hunt for food for the manor house and stop others from it.
William was a hunter and a game warden.
Abt.1635 William came to Virginia and died soon after landing.
William Freeman came to America on the " Abraham ".
He arrived October 24, 1635 at the age of 46. He appears to have been in America for a short period of time, assinging 200 acres of land in York Co, Virginia to Robert Freeman.
August 14, 1680-
Deposition by John Crouch of Westminster, Middlesex,gent, aged 60, that William Freeman, gent, of King Street, Westminster, is the oldest surviving son of Thomas Freeman, formerly of Wallingford Castle, Berkshire, gent, deceased, and brother of Col. Bridges Freeman and Bennett Freeman of Virginia deceased. William also had a sister, Elizabeth Freeman, who went to her brother Bridges Freeman in Virginia.
Deposition by David Bennett of St Martin of Fields, Middlesex, gent aged 51, that his father David Bennett was the brother of Thomas Freeman's wife.
* vi. Robert Freeman, b. Unknown, England.
( Notes for Robert Freeman )
Thomas Freeman patented land in York Co, Virginia in 1638, and may have returned to England. No known children.
Generation No. 3
3. Henry Freeman3 Sr (Thomas2 Freeman, Henry1) was born 1591 in Crewkerne, Somersetshire England, and died Bef. August 1680 in York Co, Virginia. He married (1) Alice ? in Virginia. She was born 1615, and died Abt. December 29, 1684 in York Co, Virginia. He married (2) Jane Evelyn.
( Notes for Henry Freeman Sr )
Henry Freeman was said to have killed his Confederate officer over a personal gruge and was to be hanged for this crime( unproven as of this entry date ). Henry was a mercer at Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire England prior to his coming to America. Chipping North was a small farming area with sheep and a few woolen mills. Chipping North was surounded by woods called the " lord's wood ". The wood was called this because it belonged to the " Lord" of the manor. Henry Freeman was a mercer or textile dealer.
In 1625 there were 2 well known Freeman's in Chipping North. October 24, 1635 Henry and his brother William Freeman sailed to America aboard the " Abraham " of London.Henry was 44 years old when he boarded the " Abraham " of London bound for Virginia on October 24, 1635, his brother William was 46 years old.
September 24, 1646 Henry Freeman had disputes with his brother William's heirs over property in York Co, Virginia. By 1662 Henry was in York Co, Virginia where he served as a grand jury member.
Henry Freeman's will was probated August 24, 1860. His will ( proved August 24, 1680 ), left his estate to his wife for life, then to his daughter Sarah. The estate property was sold May 27, 1687 to a Henry Anderson in London.
( More About Alice ? )
Burial: York Co, Virginia
Children of Henry Sr and Alice ? are:
* 5. i. Henry Freeman4 Jr, b. Bet. 1641 - 1642, James City, Jamestown Co Virginia; d. April 05, 1696, Charles Parish, York Co Virginia.
* ii. Hannah Freeman, b. Unknown.
* iii. Sarah Freeman, b. Unknown; m. Richard Young.
Bridges Freeman3 Sr.
4. Bridges Freeman3 Sr (Thomas2 Freeman, Henry1) was born Abt. 1603 in Oxford, England, and died Bet. 1645 - 1694 in York Co, Virginia. He married Bridget Fowler 1634, daughter of Antonia ? and Francis Fowler. She was born Abt. 1605 in England, and died Bet. 1644 - 1700 in Virginia.
( Notes for Bridges Freeman Sr )
Bridges Freeman SR arrived in America about 1622, he had 150 acres in James City Co, Virginia, bounded NW by the Chickahominy River: due 50 acres for personal adventure of his wife Bridget, and 100 for the transportation of his brother Bennett Freeman. Granted by West, December 1, 1635
Capt. Bridges Freeman bore military titles of Commander of the Marine, Adjutant, Captain and Lieutenant Col. Was a member of the house of Burgesses for Pashbehay in March 4, 1620-1630: for Chickahominy September, 1632, Collector of the revenue for Chickahominy and Sandy Point in 1647 and elected to the Council April 30, 1652, and was a member in March 1654-1655. In 1652 he had bequest of 200 acres of land from widow Antonia Fowler. From a reference in the Surry records it seems probable that Bridges Freeman married a daughter of Francis Fowler ( who was a member of the House of Burgesses in 1642 ).
Cited from the Freeman Forebears, by Garland Evens Hopkins
Children of Bridges Sr and Bridget Fowler are:
* 6. i. Bridges Freeman4 Jr, b. 1637, Virginia; d. March 1721/22, Itawamba Co, Mississippi.
* ii. James Freeman, b. 1640, Virginia; d. Bet. 1677 - 1731.
* iii. Henry Freeman Jr, b. 1642, James City, Jamestown Co Virginia; d. April 05, 1696, Charles Parish, York Co, Virginia.
Generation No. 4
Henry Freeman4 Jr.
5. Henry Freeman4 Jr (Henry Freeman3 SR, Thomas2 Freeman, Henry1) was born Bet. 1641 - 1642 in James City, Jamestown Co Virginia, and died April 05, 1696 in Charles Parish, York Co Virginia. He married (1) Martha ? 1671. He married (2) Martha Freeman 1673. She was born 1642, and died Bet. 1678 - 1737.
Children of Henry JR and Martha Freeman are:
* 7. i. John5 Freeman, b. July 05, 1671; d. January 30, 1708/09, Chowan , Louisiana.
* ii. Annie Marie Freeman, b. April 30, 1673; d. Bet. 1674 - 1767, Virginia.
* iii. Henry Freeman 3rd, b. November 20, 1675; d. April 04, 1720; m. (1) Elinor ?; m. (2) Barbara Calthope.
* 8. iv. William Freeman, b. February 12, 1677/78, Virginia; d. Colleton Co, South Carolina.
* v. Robert Freeman, b. Unknown; d. Bef. April 23, 1698.
6. Bridges Freeman4 Jr (Bridges Freeman3 SR, Thomas2 Freeman, Henry1) was born 1637 in Virginia, and died March 1721/22 in Itawamba Co, Mississippi. He married Jane Hamlin. She was born 1637, and died Bet. 1668 - 1731.
Child of Bridges Jr and Jane Hamlin is:
* 9. i. Jane5 Freeman, b. Unknown.